Monday, July 27, 2009

P U P P Y - P A N I C !




My daughter Christy & her family were going on a planned vacation June 17 thru 21, but they had recently adopted a 10 week old puppy, Aleia. She is an adorable puppy & just too young to leave in at a dog kennel during their trip.


So my husband & I volunteered to take care of her, in addition to the family’s 2 cockatiels, Romeo & Bella. The puppy is “her baby” & Christy really struggled leaving her in a dog shelter for that long.


The first few days went very well. Aleia is so cute, she stole my heart & the birds were a joy to have around. I already have 2 birds of my own, so we had quite a zoo in our family room with 2 large bird cages & the dog playpen too.


On Friday night, a sequence of events put me in a panic. The birds were out of their cages - 2 of them on my shoulders. Aleia was out of her play yard while Bob & I had been tossing a ball to her.


Suddenly the birds were startled & flew down to the floor. Within seconds, the dog’s jaws were wrapped around Romeo. “NO!,” I screamed, “NOT ON MY WATCH!” I fell to my knees & pried open the mouth of razor sharp teeth to save the bird. I carefully checked him out & lifted him to safe haven in his cage.


As I turned to put the dog away, I found Bella had be snatched by the same quick jaws. “NO! NO!” I screamed, “LET GO!” I barely got to Bella in time. Both were saved from the jaws of death!


There was no way I could tell my daughter & her family that Aleia killed their birds, Not on my watch! All turned out well. What a relief!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking them for me. Aleia will never forget you because you took such good care of her. She is very attached to you now. We can see that by how excited she is when she is around you. It takes her a good 10 minutes to stop kissing you. We couldn't have asked for better care for out pets.

    ReplyDelete